Community of Practice Overview
Through a partnership with Edmonton Regional Learning Consortium, school teams will engage in a differentiated community of practice that honours and involves schools at various points in their journey of establishing a Collaborative Response Model framework in their schools. Formal sessions will be half day, with the morning typically devoted to new schools and the afternoons devoted to advanced schools, with guest presenters as well as breakout conversations infused in both mornings and afternoons. The other half of the day may be used for team planning and informal networking (space will be provided at the venue) – new schools will typically have planning time in the afternoon, established schools in the morning. Facilitators will be available to all groups during team planning. Lunch is intended to be an opportunity for schools to continue to network (with lunch presentations shared). Detailed agendas and resources will be provided for each session for all registered participants. Beginning schools involved in the Community of Practice will be established with a “mentor” school in relation to the CRM work.
The community of practice content and focus for each session will be responsive to the articulated needs of the participating school teams.
The goals of this community of practice are to:
- Deepen an understanding of the Collaborative Response Model as it relates to leading schools and establishing structures and processes to respond to the needs of students.
- Network with a variety of schools and develop a community of practice that can extend beyond the scope of this learning opportunity.
- Connect to literature related to the Collaborative Response Model to initiate further discussion and exploration
- Collectively develop and share resources to support Collaborative Response Models in a variety of school contexts, that honours staff and student diversity.
Schools new to the Collaborative Response Model are strongly encouraged to register their team for the September 21 session – Envisioning a Collaborative Response Model to ensure a foundational understanding of CRM prior to engaging in the community of practice. Participants may also find it helpful to have a copy of the text Envisioning a Collaborative Response Model (information and order form).
Who Should Attend
School Teams (2-5 people) of K-12 schools establishing or sustaining Collaborative Response Model frameworks
About the Facilitator
Kurtis Hewson is an award-winning former administrator and teacher, as well as teaching faculty at the post-secondary level.
Location and Dates
- All sessions will be 9:00 am to 3:30 pm, with continental breakfast, lunch and snacks provided, at Best Western Plus Westwood Inn (Edmonton, AB)
- October 16, 2017
- January 16, 2018
- April 10, 2018
- June 5, 2018
Only $400.00 per participant, with continental breakfast, lunch and snacks provided on all days.
- Register for Leadership Team CRM Community of Practice